Wednesday, February 5, 2020

St*ipping ..... Pans

     I have been working on some old pans. We have a really old house on the place we use for storage.I told Hubby to go down and get a couple of cast iron pans on the back porch so I could clean them up. Well........ He came back with a whole bunch of pans! None of them were the ones I thought they were. LOL He said I thought you said there were just a couple! I had done wore him out digging around and hauling all though heavy pans out of the house.
                         Before Car Wash               After Car Wash & one scrubbed
                

The funny thing was not one of these pans were the ones I was thinking about and requesting in the search ! LOL
I did some research and many different ways of cleaning. After I washed the pans at the car wash I put all I could into the grill and roasted them to 550*F. It took 4 turns. Out of the 4 times taking out of the grill I burned my hand 3 times at those high temps. Luckily I have some homeopathic stuff I put together that didn't even let them blister. Still had sores but it didn't hurt.
    Those really big pans above and muffin pan will not fit in the bucket I'm going to have to find a container large enough to totally submerge them somewhere.
   See that bucket below? That has 2 gallons of water and 2 gallons vinegar. After roasting the pans. I kind of dust them out then try to fit as many as I can into that bucket to soak a while. It make take a few hours or all day depending on how bad they are. That water gets so rusty and dirty. You can actually see little bubbles coming up from the pan being worked on. I have already dumped one bucket that got to the point it couldn't clean out in the driveway on some unwanted grass. The pans to the right are waiting to be greased up and baked in the oven. Takes forever because I can only get 2 - 3 items on one shelf and I don't want anything dripping everywhere in case I get too much on them. We have about 6" of snow on the ground and I'm not going to fight all that to put stuff in the grill.



 
 This is what my hands look like dealing with all this. Most washes off with dawn. The palms just barely look better and you can totally forget the fingernails. I swear they are that way forever. I have washed and scraped under and around the nails without improvement. So I will just have to wash the hands and call it clean dirt. What you see in those pics are the open shoe grinder for the stuff the vinegar didn't get off. The ear protection so I can actually hear when done. The dust mask so I don't wind up in the hospital breathing in all that nasty. Oh yes and one totally stripped pan.
    I'm trying to get that mess you see cleaned up. That is my main work area for baking. Everything to the left of the bucket are the ingredients to my Camo cookies husband has requested. Probably about $100 worth of nuts, candied cherries and walnuts, and dates. I almost have all the ingredients cut and chopped by hand that need it. I think I just have to toast the almonds and I can start putting and mixing everything together.
    My kitchen is always a mess. I guess because I usually have about 6 things going at once. I am about to go crazy doing these pans. I have to be close to the sink and oven so it can't be done in the garage. I have absolutely not room to do any baking until I get these pans done.  Valentines day is coming and I have things I want to bake so I will really be torturing my hands stripping all them down to nothing and rebuilding a nice finish.
   Well guess I better go get more pans ready for the oven. I just hope the blog will let me post. Last time I had pics it wouldn't let me. I made all of these smaller so maybe there won't be any problems this time.

Love
Ranchmama
(Stripping isn't always a fun thing. )







No comments:

Post a Comment