Saturday, March 14, 2020

Are We Having Fun Yet?




    I know between the gloomy wet spring weather and all the gloomy news having fun just doesn't seem possible. Ok so maybe we aren't having any fun and just worrying ourselves silly. Everyone has their own way of handling things. I'm not sure if the more you know is a good thing or not. I mean we have to know a few things just to be able to think ahead and avoid any issues. I see on the news lots of people are stocking up.    
    Son in law stopped at a local small town Wally world. He had a good laugh, Said paper towels and TP were not to be had but there was all kinds of food on the shelves everywhere he looked! He said whats wrong with these people?! ( Leave it to a young hard working man to think about the stomach! LOL) Food everywhere and they are worried about the paper products?!
   I did get out and made a Walmart pick up run. It was the first time and that was just PLAIN COOL ! Don't have to hurt and get all worn out shopping! Later on we went into Shawnee. I wanted to get a bunch of flour. My happy spot is baking. We all need a happy spot when times are stressful now don't we ?? LOL Come on now.
     I went to Shawnee Milling. Boy trying to find your way around a big manufacturing place is a trip! They buzzed me in the front door (seemed weird but security now days ya know) The ladies in there were just sweet as they could be. They even tagged a guy I had talked to a week before about the protein content of the flour to get the best performance and he came out and visited with me. Funny, she went in to get him and he said "Oh yes, I talked to someone about that not long ago. " I semi hollered at him from the other side of the wall " Yes, that was me!" The ladies and I got to talking about how so many of them have men that cook and me and the other lady in there has to do all the cooking at our house. Well anyway I told them what a wanted and they did the paperwork.
    You do know you don't go to a factory and just get a 5lb bag of flour or whatever don't you? HECK NO! I was like a kid in a candy store !
I bought 75lbs of flour and 50# of yellow corn meal and 30# of their super good buttermilk biscuit mix ! I was a happy camper.LOL
50# of cornmeal cost me $18.00   it's $2.44 for #5 at wally world
75# of AP flour cost me $19.53 
it's $2.42 for 5# at Wally world
30# of Biscuit Mix was $27.40  I didn't see this at Wally world.
    I get this all home and hubby is looking at me funny saying where are you going to put all this?? I told him in the freezer first then I figure it out after that. The only problem is.... our freezer we use is full of things like berries from last summer and some bread and whatever else we normally use. I had to do something awful. Our other freezer I had turned off a few years ago I was using for my cake pans and pie plate stuff. I didn't even know if it would work after not using it for so long. I plugged it in and it cools wonderfully! Dang... now I had to move out 99.5% of the stuff so I can put my baking prize in the freezer a while to kill off any bugs that may be lurking and waiting to hatch out a few months from now. So now all my nicely organized stuff is in bags and otherwise all over the kitchen table to find a decent organized place to put it.(As if there is such a place ! grrr. ) But I have bunches and bunches of baking stuff I can do now!
   One draw back to thinking about hunkering down at home and making sure you have what you need. When you figure out what you need and get it then you really see how much room everything takes.
    Here I am wanting to bake a few new recipes and I have so much reorganizing to do in my house! The thing is it's like moving one piece of furniture in the living room. Once you do that everything has to find a new home! Same goes for kitchen cabinets and freezers. Even if you only get a few things you suddenly see with brand new clarity how much you have been needing to do in your house for a long while! I must have had blinders on. LOL Maybe I was just in the kitchen having too much fun to notice or care??
   I have one sad note........ for me anyway. I ordered about 50# of sugar from Sam's. It got damaged from poor packaging and didn't make it here. I have to find some more sugar somewhere else. Gotta have the sugar now to make some really good sweet stuff don't we ?! Ohhh yeah!!! Lots of sweet stuff !!!
   I need to get this done so I can work on that really good peach cobbler like my grandmother used to make and people would line up for to eat. I also want to make Lyles Golden Syrup copycat to replace the corn syrup in the recipes. Then Hubby is wanting some blueberry muffins and I have half a dozen other things I want to try.
   Oh Yes! Along with my outing to gather all the goodies I noticed all the pretty Pear trees blooming everywhere and the yellow daffodils were so pretty. I have always wanted a whole bunch of pretty yellow flowers to enjoy. The red bud trees should be soon!
     Well have to go get this prize in the freezer. I have to rest in between my breathing isn't great today. Then I have to figure out something for supper.
   You guys find some sunshine out there somewhere. If your out driving and see flowers along the roadside enjoy the view and if they are wild maybe bring some of them into the house to make you smile.

Love
Ranchmama








No comments:

Post a Comment