Thursday, July 16, 2020

Preggers Craving Cake



      

    And what do you do when preggers daughter tells you that she absolutely craves the German Chocolate cake at the grocery store cold case?
      You go searching through your recipes to find one to make!! There was a couple things I didn’t have so I sent Hubby to town to get them. I told him to take a picture of the one at the store so I could copy it. When I finished the cake Hubby said the one in town was more like a thick single layer compared to my 3 layers.
     I have never made a German Chocolate cake. Ever!! But I found a genuine recipe from the sugar manufacturer that developed this recipe for Walt Disney World. I figured if it was good enough for Disney it’s probably pretty good.


https://www.dixiecrystals.com/recipes/disneys-german-chocolate-cake?utm_source=The%20Novice%20Chef&utm_medium=Blog%20%2B%20Social&utm_campaign=Disney%27s%20German%20Chocolate%20Cake


    I really liked it. I didn’t used to like the gooey frosting but I figured out today it’s like a pecan pie filling with coconut! Neat. The cake itself was really light and fluffy. The flavor wasn't super sweet but wasn't that strong kind of bitter? taste I have tasted before. The recipe made 3 layers total.The goo was only enough for the middles and the top. I haven't even had a bite of the cake put together or seen the inside cut yet but I think I would have like to have a much thicker filling in between the cakes. She doesn't like super sweet things so it probably worked out good for her. I asked her to save me a piece so I could taste it and see what the whole thing put together tasted like. Hubby and I ate the tops I cut off the layers to level everything out with some left over chocolate icing on the side. Weird way of doing it but it was good enough. Hubby said he really liked it. He and Nikki have similar dessert taste buds so I wasn't too surprised. LOL
    I even found a wonderful chocolate buttercream that worked good for the sides and top. The recipe was large enough to cover the 3 layers in the middle, outside and top if you use it. I don't think it is enough to play with extra decorations if you start piping. I didn't use the butter I used Crisco butter flavored instead. Next time I will use a vegan milk so I can enjoy it more. I didn't have enough liquid from the recipe so I used coffee for any needed extra liquid.
https://addapinch.com/perfect-chocolate-buttercream-frosting-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-30670
     These recipes had so much real butter and milk I can’t eat but a few bites. I’m going to have to figure out a more alpha gal version I can eat without getting sick. I just wanted to use the original recipes first to see what it is supposed to be like. Next time I will replace the butter with butter flavored shortening, coconut milk buttermilk and see how that works. The cake was really a delicate crumb so I'm afraid the shortening may make it more so. Will see. I may just need to change it to regular flour instead of the cake flour.
     Still.... I can knock this one off my list of recipes I need to perfect. I am a happy camper!
     I think next time I want to try some german chocolate cupcakes. Have the german chocolate cake, a buttercream in the middle, the coconut goo as the actual frosting. I bet that would be a good balance. Can't decide.
   Right now my kitchen looks like a bomb went off in it. I mean every square inch is covered with something. Not a spot on the counter or table was spared and the stove got it's fair share of the mess also! LOL. I would say what do you expect for a last minute cake request but I don't think I can get away with that. LOL It's pretty much the way my kitchen always looks after baking. People say clean as you go but honestly I do somewhat. I really do. Hubby looked at the white tile floor and said it was a mess! I told him that's the way it goes!
    I took several different pictures and considering the stove top is the only thing I could clean off easily before delivering the cake it's the best I could do. I don't know how some of these folks get such good food pictures on the net!
   Soooo.... Thursday is clean up the mess day! I know what I will be doing. LOL
  Oh yes, it took care of her craving and the 3 little foster boys are now certified cake monsters. The little one still in a high chair was all smiles and chocolate all over the face! Cute as can be! LOL
    Well I was looking for something different to bake. It will be interesting to see what baking craving comes up next.
Hope everyone is staying safe, well and happy enough in our new found crazy world. I found some fun and had happy today!

Love
Ranchmama







No comments:

Post a Comment