Friday, June 12, 2020

Jam Recipes and Pan Project

Unusual Jam Recipes: From Bourbon to Watermelon
https://www.diynatural.com/unusual-jam-recipes/?awt_a=5vkt&awt_l=7ZW5E&awt_m=3mVmSH4mo4tFQkt

    I would love to try some of these!
    The watermelon and boozy sounding ones,Watermelon, Honeysuckle, Red Clover, Lavender just too start!    Look at all the varieties more towards the bottom.

    I have so many recipes I would like to try other than jelly I don't know if I will ever get to them all.  Some of these though you have to catch it when they are blooming like the clover and honeysuckle and lavender. I have lavender blooming in the front yard. Seems like I never have my kitchen all cleaned up. Always have a project going in the way. Right now I am trying to get all my baking pans marked on the bottom with a paint pen as to the size of the pan to help me put the right size to the recipe I'm baking at the time.
    I think I have them .... crud ! I went and looked in a couple more places and I know I have some different size loaf pans and some muffin pans and a few odd shaped ones like hearts etc. I still need to mark on the bottom. Huuuuh... Well as soon as I get the bottoms of all these dry I will go dig out the other ones I found and mark them. It's amazing how many different size loaf pans there are and most recipes will say " this recipe makes a full loaf !" Fine! What size loaf??!!! I want a loaf to look like a full size loaf of bread or whatever, not something that fills up half the pan I am using and it comes out looking like someone sat on the dang thing! (That's one of my baking pet peeves, can you tell? LOL)
    You may look at some of those pans and say "Why in the world does she have so many of the same size?" Well usually you will find a normal cake is about 2 pans stacked when done. Now days your even finding it popular to make 3 layer cakes. I think the 3 layer makes the prettiest ones but I do admit trying to cut them and lay them out neatly to eat is a real challenge sometimes.
    You will notice that there are 7 pans all the same size 9 X 1 1/2. They are not the most expensive pans. As a matter of fact I got them at Dollar General on sale. Usually I like a Fat Daddio brand but to buy 7 duplicate pans in that brand would be a fortune. Those pans are for a particular cake I want to try. For some reason I have been distracted and haven't done that yet. It is called a Smith Island Cake. If you go online you will see that they cost a little over $50 to buy. What is a Smith Island Cake ? according to sallys baking addiction  https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/smith-island-cake/
Smith Island, an island situated on the Chesapeake Bay between Maryland and Virginia and only reachable by boat, is home to this epic beauty. The cake, as I learn, dates back to the early 1800s (or even 1600s depending what you read!) when Smith Islanders would send the cake with watermen on the autumn oyster harvest. It’s frosted with fudge instead of buttercream because the fudge lasts much longer. Today the cake towers with anywhere from 8-14 ultra thin layers and comes in a variety of flavors like lemon, carrot cake, coconut, and strawberry.


Smith Island Cake, Angelina's of Maryland
It's going to be fun figuring out how to stack this and keep it from sliding not just sitting there but also trying to move this slippery monster. Maybe the fudgy frosting with help it hold together and not be a problem. I really need to bake this soon.

    

  

  
     Still these jelly recipes might encourage me to get stuff out of the way and done. Then it goes to gathering up the jelly equipment and jars and the blooms to make the jelly.
   
See! Always some kind of mess to make ! LOL

Love
Ranchmama


    Corn Cob
    Irish Stout
    Kentucky Bourbon
    Lilac
    Kudzu Flower
    Sorghum (yes, jelly!)
    Banana
    Bacon
    F.R.O.G.-Figs, Raspberry, Orange peel and Ginger
    T.O.E. Jam-Tangerine, Orange, and Elderberry (you can’t make this stuff up!)
    Watermelon
    Honeysuckle
    Red Clover
    Cucumber
    Lavender
    Salted Vanilla
    Carrot
    Rosemary
    Wild Rose
    Elderflower
    Honey
    Violet
    Root Beer
    Garlic

No comments:

Post a Comment