Saturday, November 28, 2020

I tried shopping local .. ground report

           Help your community thrive - Shop Local! - Travel Guide to Old Town Clovis    Jobs In Prague Ok    5 Reasons to Shop Local this Holiday Season    

   Shopping local ( That's downtown Prague, Ok ) has been busy in the little town before thanksgiving and now the other stores are busy but not crazy stupid busy like in the past. We are spoiled with Amazon and others bringing it to us.
   Speaking of Amazon.... I saw a Amazon delivery truck in town the other day ... like UPS or FED X. Then the commercials show their own planes and all kinds of things. These big world guys I wish I could figure out a way to do without. It has made it difficult for the small town folks to compete and those big guys are so powerful they are actually dominating and controlling too much of our everyday lives politically and health wise. So I will keep trying to "Shop Local" If we could all manage not being so spoiled and lazy some of those big world guys may not be able to make a mess of things like they are now. If wishes were feathers we would all be tickled now wouldn't we?
   Went to Atwoods to check out farm toys for a little boy under 2.Naturally I looked at the metal John Deer tractors. Didn't see anything with size on them for less that $40. So I passed on that one. Atwoods used to have several isles of toys of all kinds just about floor to ceiling! Now I think there were 4 short rows with toys in there maybe 3 deep? They used to have all kinds of fun whistles and animal sounds that sound off when you tip them over. I saw cheap stuff but believe me it  - was - cheap not even worth taking home to me for a boy. Didn't find any boy John Deere clothing either. So ok I'm going to go look on Amazon and do it that way.
Sometimes it's hard to support local.
     Atwood's Candy used to be almost as good a supply as the toys. They still had some decent variety but wasn't like walk in and say WOW! look at this and this and this!
     So either the internet is taking their customers, which I can't see that, I tried several times yesterday and their website was totally down and out of commission. I just checked and still out. This is what it says.  They are missing out on some money I would say.
Error 403 Forbidden
Forbidden
Guru Mediation:
Details: cache-mci5930-MCI 1606589588 1947010197

    After that I tried Tractor Supply for toys....We live so far out you have to check the net to see about things. They were the most difficult to navigate! The other day I was looking for a rocker there and no store in ark or Oklahoma had one in stock or would ship even though the picture was there. I had to find it online somewhere out of state.

    Then there was the car lot this morning.... one of those if you have the right number you win something ( i got $5) not one person working there was wearing a mask... which is ok with me... I did though. My sales person was a Paratrooper Vet with his challenge coin ( he showed me). Italian from New York 12 yrs ago. Spoke 5 languages he said he has so many shots from going around the world he hasn't been sick in 30 yrs LOL

    Thanksgiving recipes were a challenge for me in one recipe.... the Mother In law green jello I use the colored mini marshmallow because it just tastes better than plain. Tried local walmart and a local grocery. None was to be found! I guess the company cut back on those for some reason? I got lucky and dug around the cabinet and found a gallon slider bag full. A little stiff but fine after I put them in the recipe. Tasted good too!  BUT..... I just found a huge huge bag of those tiny itty bitty marshmallow charms like you see in cocoa of all places.... Atwood's! LOL

Oh yes!
I also noticed the local bank here in town is offering "gifts" to open accounts at the bank. I didn't pay attention to the value of the gifts but I think they were decent.
Doesn't look good to me. Seems they are wanting more deposits to be able to loan out more money and rake in the interest. Lots and lots of remodeling and building going on around here. Contractors are booked until Spring in some cases and in others at least several months to even get them to squeeze in a little job. Guess how I know? 

  Ok got to finish up the kitchen so I can start the Christmas terror !


Love
Ranchmama

No comments:

Post a Comment