Sunday, November 22, 2020

Holiday Traditions

 Ready-to-Roast Traditional Turkey Dinner (Medium) - Harmons Grocery       Holiday Ham Recipe | Taste of Home

 Holiday Traditions are getting blown out of the water this year for many people. A pandemic just changes everything up! We will for sure remember this holiday season!

   Have you noticed we have a new tradition? Instead of have a nice day.... we get STAY SAFE! Nice thought I guess but it is a little sad also.
   If you are having a gathering and would like to try at least a few safety things here are a few I thought of.
   You can do like they do everywhere else and test for temp with no touch temp gun.
   Have hand wipes or sanitizer gel handy for everyone to use.
   Hand wipes can be placed at the end of the buffet to clean off cooties from everyone handling the food spoons etc.
   You could just put them close the table for everyone to use before eating.
   (I use unscented baby wipes and pour rubbing alcohol in them for us to use. )
   If the temperatures outside is really good where your at have a thanksgiving picnic!
   You could also open up the doors or windows all through the house before and after everyone and let fresh air in to get rid of some cooties.
    If you have air filters in the room or in the heating and cooling change them before and after everyone is there.
    You may want to consider paper towels in the restroom with a handy basket instead of hand towels to share cooties on.
    I Love real plates and silverware . This year throw away may be better for most of us. Just toss the cooties out!
    Humidifiers -- They say with higher humidity the virus can not travel as far or hang in the air as much so you may want to put some humidifiers in different ends of the house or put a pot of water on the stove somewhere.
   Hugs are usually standard and really when your crowded in a room you wonder if no hugs really matter. Still no hugs won't hurt either.
  Take home boxes.... I like the Styrofoam boxes at dollar general to have stacked somewhere for folks to fix and take home.
   Take home boxes for shut ins even if not doing a party is a nice thing.
   I think I am going to try to deliver desserts to folks. Mask up and stand back!
      Our immediate family is going to pass on getting together. Arkansas daughter is scared of passing Covid on to me since she is a college professor and is around students much of the day so far until they close for the holidays. She is all masked up and windshield on her head and all that good stuff. She is also taking plaquenil for her lupus that many doctors feel can cure a person that comes down with covid. They say no in other places but ... whatever.... follow the money. LOL  Hubby and I both take it for arthritis and I am finding out that is is helping me cut back on my asthma medicine also. YEA! Still she is tired also so I think we will pass on the family get together and wait for Christmas.
    The Oklahoma family folks are also passing pretty much. Some don't want to take a chance and others have people that have been exposed to covid or are not very cautious about wearing protective gear. Then you have the older folks that just need to steer clear of everyone anyway!
     I was just going to make some desserts and take them to the folks that were having a dinner but even that is out the window now with no one actually taking the cooking plunge!
    I am trying to get brave and just do something here. I hate cooking turkey! It takes forever to thaw out and I don't have enough room in the fridge anyway! GRRRRrrrrr. If I use a big ice chest that is one heck of a job keeping up with the cooling temps to keep it safe. I don't know what I will wind up doing on the meat part.
   I will still try and master a pumpkin roll this year. Hubby likes a green jello his mama liked to make. It is a process of course with all the apples, pineapple, marshmallows, jello, mayo and who knows what I am forgetting. Still it goes back to ... no room in the fridge again!I either need a new one or a second one in the garage.
 
Try to have a decent holiday this thanksgiving and lets hope the politics get fixed up soon.

Love
Ranchmama


No comments:

Post a Comment