Wednesday, June 5, 2019

The Ever Changing Weather and it's Problems

I was watching the news the other day and they were predicting up to 16 named hurricanes this year.
I instantly heard 24. Now I don't know if that means 24 in total or named or what just... 24.
I then heard the east coast will be devastated.

How do you get ready for a hurricane?
Probably much like a tornado except we go to the rabbit hole and their rabbit hole is pack up the autos and vacate to a different town a long way away.
    The weather is just bad everywhere. People are so tired of the worry and coping and we are just talking about the folks that aren't even having the real flooding problems ! The people that have been relocated, or their homes damaged or totally destroyed are going to be trying to cope with that for years.
   Talk to your friends and relatives. If you are a prepper  and they know it they will either welcome the chat or blow you off. If you know they are going to just turn off the warning words just maybe ask them simple questions every now an then so maybe they will think about such things. I am constantly surprised how many people I run into that say.... Oh, I never thought of that!
Make comments like.... 
 Wow, how in the world would you get out of your place if it flooded?
Are the roads around you ok when it rains forever? 
Between floods, hurricanes and tornadoes there is going to be a lot of folks without even every day simple things like a change of clothes or even a toothbrush.
I have no clue what I would do if I had to worry about hurricanes. What do you do?
I just can't get over how bad the weather is! Places are having flooding worse than a 500 year flood that have never flooded before!
Maybe talk about the weather and how food prices are really going to go up now that the gardens and fields have been flooded everywhere.
   Daughter has a certified organic truck patch. She plants several hundred plants at a time. She said the cabbage didn't make because it got to hot to fast. They were the size of golf balls. The potatoes didn't produce well and a lot had mold she had to clean off. The onions were a real mess,They would just squish water if you lightly squeezed them they were so rotten.
    I talked to a lady up in Illinois ? And she said normally farmers start planting in April but it has been so wet they haven't been able to get into the fields to plant.
    Another man I talked to in Oklahoma has a seed company and sales are really slow for his kind of seeds because the window for planting them has past with all this wet weather. I was also told that hay is really a shortage already out there.
    What this all means for Tim, Tammy, Granny and Grandpa is that available produce at the market will be higher and probably not as good as it should be. The meat prices will go up even more because the grain at the lots will be scarce or expensive for the animals to feed. Flour for bread and baked goods will not fair any better.
      My plan is to go to wally world an stock up on my favorite non GMO, High protein, Wheat Montana 10# flour sacks and put in the freezer. I use more cornstarch than I thought I would ever do and I have no clue where it's going. I'm going to stock up on the big containers at Sams club.I have recently started using organic oatmeal and cornmeal and although I have a decent supply I will get more. I don't go through a lot of onions but I will get some large onion, chili, garlic powder spices. I have fresh garlic growing all the time but powdered is good also.
    I cook from scratch so my needs are different. If you are a box and prepackaged cook you better stock up on the cake mixes and veggies etc. you use. Most all of these things will last a year easy enough with just normal storage. Maybe things will be better by the next crop growing season.
Well got to go. I have a new chocolate vegan cupcake recipe I want to try.
Love
Ranchmama

1 comment:

  1. The best place to be in a hurricane? . . . . Nebraska!

    ReplyDelete