Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Wild Cats & Armydillers

http://turnlol.com/images/2012/10/animals-bobcats-baby-animals-1280x1024-hd-wallpaper.jpg


http://turnlol.com/images/2012/10/animals-bobcats-baby-animals-1280x1024-hd-wallpaper.jpg

I found this image at the above link. Why do I have a baby bobcat pic? LOL

Well ... The story goes like this. Lately the yard and the pastures have been being all torn up by armydillers and moles. We have hills and holes all over about 800 acres ! Not only does it tear up the grass it makes it really hard to drive equipment on when your trying to get the work done. No wonder we had to spend over $600 on a new front end of the 86 Chevy the other day ! 
   We don't have the equipment ( yet ) to kill the moles. We do have what it takes to thin out the armydillers ! Hubby and I was driving around the other day and took care of that. Today we decided to go across the creek in the bottom ground and see if we could find some more.  As we were driving through looking hubby spotted a baby bobcat  ( about the size in the picture) just inside the edge of the woods. We kept driving to get closer. We found a spot and hubby got out to see if he could catch it. It was sooooo funny! I told him he better watch out for mama! He said what do u think I have this rifle for ! I can always scare her off. So here is this 60 yo man walking around in the woods wearing trifocals that are hard to look down in to keep from tripping following the wild kitten around that was just staying in front of him enough he couldn't catch it! It was so frustrating ! I could hear him a little ways off saying " Here Kitty Kitty ! " he got back and I was laughing at him. He said what do you say to a wildcat to calm them when your trying to catch it??
If we had a grand son there he could have run ahead and caught it.
    All this time I was sitting in the truck . I was texting Nikki about what was going on with hubby. It was one of those oh boy! A bobcat baby moment then the next thing she would say no it's not like I really need one. Then it was back to get it! My other daughter Allexcia was saying good! I've been wanting one stuffed for years ! I said no no no this is live catch only and it's a baby!! She said she's been telling her boys for years to bring one home for display. I remember Jon always wanted a baby bobcat, he almost bought one when he was about 12 or so.
While I was doing all this chatting I heard something lightly walking in the woods besides me. I looked and the baby bobcat was tiptoeing next to the truck! I got out quickly an quietly and by the time I got around the back of the truck the tiny thing had disappeared! A few minutes later hubby came walking up following it. It was clear in the area, no brush, no holes, nothing up a tree. I told hubby to stand still so we can hear it moving around. We waited a while but didn't hear anything. Ggggrrrrr
    Thought I would go check the fence in the creek to make sure the cows couldn't get out. I looked about 100 yards away and darn if I didn't see a BIG bobcat heading for the creek ! 
         It was really cool standing there by the fence line . Woods on both sides but we could drive beside the fence on our side . I noticed while we were being quiet we heard what sounded like puppies whining. What the heck?! In the middle of the thick woods? It dawned on us then... bet it was a litter of coyote pups out there somewhere.  That was a first for us to hear. 
     We headed back home and found a armydiller just digging like crazy making another hole. Let's just say he filled that hole back up real good ;-)

Love
Ranchmama 

No comments:

Post a Comment