Thursday, October 19, 2023

Truck Eats Breakfast and Holiday Preps

 October 2nd I was driving hubby to a doctors appointment in Norman Ok. We had to drive through  Shawnee to take the less busy roads just south of town. It was really a foggy morning. I mean you could see probably one car length ahead of you. Just barely got to the middle of Shawnee on the way to breakfast and my trailer hitch on my truck decided to have a early breakfast!  I was driving along carefully an the car in front of me made a sudden stop. I quickly slowed down as fast as I could without just stomping on the brakes to keep the car behind me from running into me. Well....... it didn't work. Hubby said I saw the guy do it. He slammed on the brakes and slid right into to the rear end. Didn't you see him? I said no... I was watching what was going on in front of me! We all pulled over to the side and some littlish car had run into my trailer hitch on the crew cab. Didn't look like it did much damage except to their plastic looking grill. I looked at the radiator and to me it looked like it might have a dent in it. Sure enough a few minutes later there was a puddle under the car. The driver looked in his 20's and had a 18 month old in a car seat in the back. The right front blinker was out. I asked if the wreck did it or it was already like that. He said it was like that before. I said if the insurance doesn't pay enough you can probably find that grill in a junk yard. He said really? Like he didn't know that. Then quickly said he has full coverage. I guess he wasn't thinking deductible money. Looking at his car he had hail damage on the windshield, a blinker out and evidently the tires were slick since the roads weren't wet and he slid into me. So he will probably keep what money he can from the looks of all that . 

    Nobody was hurt at all so I can laugh about it. Hubby asked if the truck was damaged and I told him nope nada. We got home and he looked himself and said there was a tiny little nibble on the rubber strip on the bumper. It was smaller than your little finger nail. That's ok my truck had a big breakfast and his little car got a tiny nibble. I guess my truck won. LOL ALWAYS HAVE A TRAILER HITCH ON YOUR VEHICLE! Whatever you drive. This isn't the first time a trailer hitch has saved our auto. I remember one time Jon was driving his truck in town and stopped for some reason. Some guy in a hopped up nice car came cruising up behind him and didn't stop. Jon said he hit him so hard the hitch went into the guys engine and messed it up. They had to pry the two cars apart. Jon's truck was ok though. 

Here's a picture of the little car from the other day.

    I've been trying to get ready for the holiday baking season. Been picking up extra stuff every now and then at the store the last couple of weeks. Butter, cream cheese, pecans, powdered sugar, brown sugar,32 ozs of  almond extract. Whatever I can think up to have stocked up and ready to go. My kitchen is a wreck. 

 

I have a tall pantry in the kitchen with good sturdy wood shelves. I mean you open the door and you better jump back because no telling what will fall out and bonk you! Whoever built this thing painted the sheet rock brown in the back. Since I was foolish enough to empty the whole thing out all over the kitchen table, countertops and floor I decided to paint the back and the floor of each shelf white. Well at least the ones I could reach. The very very top nobody is going to see because nobody can reach it and the very bottom nobody can see the back and I  thought I wasn't about the get on my hands and knee's and cripple myself for a week! Well it was a nice thought........ and I did hurt for a week! But it is done and everything is dry now. It makes it so much easier to see inside when looking for something!I try to do all my cabinets like that when I have a chance but it doesn't happen often.

 

So I have been going through the shelves. I have one 5' long 4 shelves high over my head. I'm moving a lot of canned goods to that place and reorganizing the whole thing. Still work to do for sure. Notice the powdered sugar, granulated sugar, brown sugar and flour in the buckets on the floor. Yes I do go through that much in a baking season. Sometimes more depending on what is baking.

I planned on putting my baking ingredients and baking containers to carry things in to family parties and all in that pantry. I'm tired of digging for things and going from the kitchen to this room or that room to get most of the stuff I need when I'm baking! At least this should streamline it a lot. Believe me this is organized ! Now if I can just keep it like that. LOL

 

   I hope to have my baking pans better organized also. They are all together but they are stacked. I don't like stacked. Still trying to figure that one out.

    I am looking at the calendar for the next few months and putting down known doctor appointments and birthdays and any parties for the holidays. There are usually 2 or 3 places for each holiday I need to cook desserts for. This gives me a visual battle plan so I can plan out when to start and finish the bakes. 

    I am deciding on recipes for each place and gathering them up. Checking and making sure I have the ingredients needed. I know this sounds like a lot of work and it is but for me it's fun work. 

   Ok have to go make Holloween cookies for a kids party.

Love

Ranchmama







No comments:

Post a Comment