Saturday, October 9, 2021

What Garden Seeds Are GMO?

                                

https://www.finegardening.com
    I don't know about you but I have been picking up some garden seeds locally. We have a local feed store that sells them by the ounce and quarter ounce which is usually a lot more than your going to get in some of these seed packages. I want heirloom but I wasn't being picky. I will look up and see which ones are heirloom later.
For instance
Salad Bowl Red Leaf Lettuce was .30* for 1/4 oz. (that's a lot of seeds)
Bloomdale Spinach 1/2 oz. .30*
Vegetable Spaghetti Squash.. 1/2    .65*
Black Diamond watermelon 1/2 oz.  .70*
        I got a whole bunch of seeds about $60 worth. Some of it I don't even like but maybe someone else does. Some seeds were just out of season and picked over really good and I got to thinking I can get some at the grocery store in the produce department and dry bean isles. Then I got to thinking I wonder how many of those are GMO.... genetically modified organisms ? So I looked it up. This is what one website said.    
What Vegetable Gardeners Need to Know About GMO Seeds

https://www.finegardening.com/article/what-vegetable-gardeners-need-to-know-about-gmo-seeds
    To set the record straight, there are currently no genetically modified garden seeds available for sale to the general public. Not from Lake Valley or other seed companies selling to home gardeners.
    Some GMO crops are grown in the U.S., but these are production crops like field corn, soy, canola, and sugar beets. In fact, the actual number of different GMO plant species is much less than people think. There are fewer than 10 different genetically modified plant species currently available as fresh produce or part of a processed food product in our markets.
    So really we are ok. They may not be heirloom seeds for all we know but if they grow and provided chow that's all we need! I know some people may say it's silly to even worry about such things but our world seems to just get crazier every day. We don't know if seeds will be available next year. My daughter in Arkansas has a certified organic commercial garden and last spring she had a really hard time finding some of the seeds she needed. Same goes for the plants that a local nursery was growing for her. She may buy a few hundred flats at a time. That's why I want heirloom. You can save your seeds every year and get a reliable plant where with hybrid you plant your saved seeds you may not get as good a plant or production the next year.
   Why wouldn't seeds be available? Honestly there is no telling. Maybe everyone decides they all want to grow a garden and can't keep up with production. It could be bad weather ruining a harvest. Our nations energy supply is being effected already and some companies are taking a time out until they can organize things better with components and fuel supplies to keep operating. Augason Farms is one of them . They are a long term food supply business taking a 90 day break. Lets hope they can reopen at all.
  I saved some really good cantaloupe seeds this summer. It was really sweet and nice. I also saved some roma tomatoes and orange marigold seeds I think I will try drying some bell peppers from the store and saving those seeds. I don't know how good a job I do at saving them but will see how well they germinate before planting for sure. You can get garden seeds from the produce department easy. Garlic cloves, shallot cloves, horseradish are just a few. Go look down the dry bean isle. There are all kinds of varieties of beans down there you can give a try. By the pound! Go take a look at the popcorn. You know that bag or bottle that is just waiting for someone to get the stuff out and watch a movie with? Just make sure it's dry and not all oiled up ready to go. Some people say you can grind that up and make some pretty good cornmeal. I sure haven't tried it. I think the popping is so much more fun. Oh yes find some raw peanuts somewhere and try planting that. You can have a good protein source and some really good homemade peanut butter!
   I am sure everyone has heard there are veggies we can grow from scraps. I haven't tried it yet. I would be a fun experiment. If it works great you have more food you don't have to spend hard earned money on.
    This website  20 Vegetables You Can Re-Grow From Scraps
https://www.ruralsprout.com/regrow-vegetables/
This a really good place it shows you how to do all this stuff and more.
Here are some of the common vegetables (and herbs) that you can re-grow from scraps:
    Potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes
    Onions, Garlic, Leeks and Shallots
    Celery
    Bulb Fennel
    Carrots, Turnips, Parsnips, Beets and Other Root Crops
    Lettuce, Bok Choi and Other Leafy Greens
    Cabbages
    Basil, Mint, Cilantro & Other Herbs
   Well anyway folks have fun planning next years garden this fall. Next thing I want to look into is a seed vault, how to store them so they will be good when it's time to plant.

Love
Ranchmama

No comments:

Post a Comment