Monday, July 27, 2015

India Market Fun


                                                              Rose Matta Rice

Last Wednesday I was in OKC and went to a grocery store named Taste of India. I like to go to ethnic stores. It's almost like going to a whole new world! 
     It was so fun! Of course hubby stayed in the truck but he had A/C so I wasn't worried . 
      It was a lot like the other stores clean but plain. The first thing I saw was a hip high stack if pressure cookers! Weird ! They had little ones that were as big around as your hand spread out and big ones big enough for canning. There were all kinds of different flours to cook with I had never heard of before. In small 1 pounders to 20 pounds or more. Then I saw isles of different kinds of dried peas, lentils and beans. Which explained the pressure cookers! None of these kinds of foods grace my table enough to purchase. 
      The one thing I did see I recognized how to cook was rice ! They had so many different kinds! I saw one or two I had seen in Sams but most was a stranger to me. The one I have pictured above was a interesting color and flavor. It was rose colored but had a very slight nutmeg flavor. Fun and interesting served with chicken breast. I would do it again some day . 
 Take a look at the others I will be trying again soon! Jasmine rice and brown sona rice . Oh yes I found some sanwa millet and toasted vermicelli to learn how to fix some day to. 

        Something else that was interesting was the spices ! Oh now I would say they were running neck and neck with the Mexican market on variety but this was different. This store had more whole seeds that were tempting to take home and plant I mean big 8 ounce looking bags! 
      I also found some curcurmin roots to learn how to grow. What fun!! 

     
    Ugly little things and about as big around as your index finger. A lot smaller than I thought.
     Now if I can just get the ginger to grow I will have some really potent medicine available. It was strange to go to the store and not see a meat department. Many of the people in India are vegetarian so that explained that.

     Well that's all about my fun for the weekly outing. If anyone has some good recipes using some of these things send them to me to look at.

Love
Ranchmama 


No comments:

Post a Comment