Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Watermelon Man

 

      


     Can you imagine this many watermelons? I borrowed this picture off the net to show you.

 I talked to the watermelon man today when I went to pick up 5 more pint boxes of okra.
He said they have 9000 watermelon plants in a 15 acre field. They are hybrid plants but I don’t remember the name. He said they get 1.5 melons per plant.
My daughter says she gets a lot more on her organic heirloom melon vines.
He has a partner so I don’t know where all they sell that many melons to. I just know for $8 each it sure is refreshing after a meal!
We haven’t weighed them but hubby said they feel like 40#’s
They also sell tomatoes and it isn’t uncommon at all for someone to come up and buy bushels and clean them out.
Okra isn’t doing good this year anywhere around here so I didn’t get as much as I wanted
I visited with them about growing other things for a local winter market and they hadn’t really thought about that

Love
Ranchmama

No comments:

Post a Comment