Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Fall Pears

Nikki's pear tree did a really good job this year! Hubby and I picked two and a half 5 gallon buckets of those goodies!
     I brought them home, rested up and the next day washed them all off in the sink with just a tiny bit of bleach in the water to kill off any mold that might be on the outside. Since I am slow moving I try to do all I can to keep them from going bad too fast. If I just had fridge room it sure would be nice!


I sorted through this bunch and picked out the ones that needed immediate attention. These I peeled put in a pot and told them to cook! 
     I really just planned on having some nice chilled pears to eat for a few days in the fridge. Well..... Hmmm .. The pot full of beautiful pears was a lot more than I thought so I rounded up some canning jars ( that took a bit because I'm not exactly organized lol) washed, sterilized, filled, put the lids on and found a pot just barely big enough to water bath can them. I hate my fancy electric stove! It is so hard to get things to boil! Takes forever. Can't get natural gas out here in the country and propane is a pain to fill. So I'm just stuck I guess. 

It's amazing how many you peal to get this little bit canned.This is just part of them. But it is a oversized bowl.


    Here is the finished product.  Well this is only about half of what I picked . The other is still getting ripe. Can't decide if they will be canned or nice and cold in the fridge for dessert.

I think I am going to try getting some starts off that tree next year since it is so good and self pollinating. I know it would be a while before I get fruit but it is cheaper and a fun challenge . Maybe my kids can enjoy them years from now.

Love
Ranchmama
( who didn't know your arm can get sore from peeling! )


No comments:

Post a Comment