Friday, January 29, 2021

Eggs -- First Time I Bought Some Locally

       Amazon.com: Rocky Mountain Goods Egg Basket - Soft Vinyl Coating to Prevent  Shell Cracking - Holds up to 36 Eggs - Carrying Handle - Rust Proof Easy  Rinse Heavy Duty Design: Industrial & Scientific    Heavy Duty Egg Basket (up to 24 eggs)  Do you think you're not resilient or do you have an egg/basket design  problem? - Smarter Egg  Amazon.com: Ware Manufacturing Chicken Egg Basket: Pet Supplies

    This is my experience the next post will be about more detailed information about buying and selling eggs.
    I bought my first 2 dozen eggs locally Thursday. They were $2 a dozen. Someone really handy and can just drop them off. I learned a few things. I don't know if it is something they have been doing a while or new to them.
   The eggs were the pretty fun ones all multicolored. In a nice see though egg carton and all. I did see I needed to wash the eggs. They were not filthy or anything like that but they did have some very light chicken poop on some of them. So I put them in the sink and wiped each of them off with a wet paper towel. I put them on the counter to dry on their own.
    There is no way I could put anything like that in my fridge, pick them up and crack them to be used in a meal or recipe with stuff on them! Shoot now days we are disinfecting our hands for waving in the air almost! Sheesh! So I don't think I want to share this kind of bacteria in my kitchen around the foods we eat.   Now the sink.... I had to disinfect the sink!
     I am a baker.... that means that when I bake something I need large size eggs since that is what most recipes are formulated to use. Just for giggles I got my digital scale out and used the chart in the next post to see what I had.
   Out of 24 I had 13 lg , 5 ex large, 2 pee wee,  2 small, and 2 medium eggs.
   Good thing I weighed them! I would hate to go to all the work, mess and expensive ingredients on a baking recipe and have it not turn out like it should when done. So now I have the large size eggs where I normally keep eggs and the "Other Eating eggs" in a small bowl. The

"Other Eating eggs" I will use first for breakfast or boiled eggs some time.
   I can now see if I were to sell eggs I would be selling "Baking eggs" and "Eating Eggs" . I would also make sure they are washed and clean. I know you see things on the net about how you don't have to refrigerate or wash eggs but that ain't going to happen around here! If you get a hen laying eggs and for whatever reason (maybe you need to clean the bedding) they are smudged even you don't want to have that bacteria around your food area and you don't want to spread it with your hands as you cook!
   So ok my first time is interesting. Will keep buying eggs from this person and see if they get cleaner for one. I have not found any blood spots yet but I haven't used many either. Will see how that goes.

Love
Ranchmama


2 comments:

  1. We get blood spots...most with my Marans; however, those are my FAVORITE baking and noodle making eggs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to my other post it's due to some breeds are more prone to that and old or really young hens. I know it's supposed to be no big deal you just pick it out. I just really have a hard time doing that... It's just "Icky!" LOL
    Love
    Ranchmama

    ReplyDelete