Saturday, October 4, 2014

39 Years Ago Today

Just about 7 pm like now, I was marrying my hubby in a very well preserved Bonniville House in Ft Smith.
It was a small family affair. I had a square cake which at that time was just not to be had since it was well before the cake craze hit. It had several layers and it was beautiful of course!
    My dress was candle light in color because that was also the in thing espescially for a antique house. I still have the dress. I didn't get lucky enough to have my daughter wear it or anyone else in the family. My mother made my dress for me. I was one of those women with broad shoulders and a bust that just couldn't fit into the ready made dresses properly. Get one place to fit and the other place didn't. The dress was champagne in color. The veil was full length Chantilly lace flowing behind me. The flowers in the veil were also the ones she cut out and hand sewn on to the dress with tiny pearls added to it. She sewed this all on a old peddle sewing machine that my brother Richard the electrical engineer had converted to electric some years before. A few years later someone stole that sewing machine but that's ok. I still remember and not only that I have my mothers mothers (my maternal grandma's) peddle sewing machine that was given to her by a neighbor after my grandmas house burned down. That machine I did some fancy prom dress sewing for my daughter! One of the dresses looked so good when she made a appearance at one of the band functions she was in the trumpets stood up and pretty much saluted her with some kind of tune! LOL Blondes in a strapless red dress have that effect on some folks in Jr. High School. LOL

Of course I can't fit the dress. Nobody told me life sure does do a job on the body sometimes. Hubby ? Now I know he could still fit his. I honestly don't remember much about the wedding other than I had long thin hair and no clue how to make it look good and my Aunt Gwen fixed it. I also had to figure out how in the world to get all that dress under control and to fit in the bathroom before the service. The photographer kept us so busy I really didn't get to do much. I know my brother Terry decorated the 914 Porsche and had a great time emptying the cans.

We didn't do a honeymoon. I was only 17 and had school to go to on Monday. No I wasn't pregnant I was just ready to snag this 21 yo truck driver! Which is another thing.... pretty cool to have your boyfriend then hubby come pick you up in a semi at school ! LOL


Here take a look http://www.bonnevillehouse.com/ isn't it really pretty?! Here are the photos they have online http://www.bonnevillehouse.com/photo-gallery/

If I wasn't too lazy to dig them out I would put some of the wedding pics up. I don't know I might some day soon. The stairway was really pretty to walk down and I was married in the room with the dark blue carpet and pinkish flowers.

We were talking about it yesterday and laughing. On the way to the wedding we had to cross the bridge from Van Buren into Fort Smith. On the way
over some his friends pull up beside the Porsche and asked what we were up to and where we were going. We told them we were on the way to get married. When we did arrive Mama figured out we forgot the monogrammed napkins and Hubby had to go all the way back to Van Buren and get them. I told him when he got back he had his chance to run then. We were outside yesterday and he said I guess I should have kept on driving when I went back to get the napkins. I told him it's way too late now! He laughed and said yep not much has changed you still forget things all the time. That's the way he is... just slips in a one liner every now and again and the way he does it just makes you giggle. He is normally such a serious man. Jon would do that too. When you least expect it he would say the simplest thing and have you rolling. The difference is Jon was smiling a little crooked smile when he said it usually.

We have done a lot of really quality living. Not bad for meeting the man in February and being engaged to him by birthday in April! I don't know how we picked October for a wedding month. No clue. But it has worked this long. I don't think either one of us thinks it's worth retraining and breaking in someone new. Nikki sometimes gets a big laugh out of us. Every now and then we hit that point where it isn't really a argument but trying to get the other one to understand what you just said is exactly what they are repeating to you just said differently is a challenge!

Ranchmama 

(Blessed. The only thing that could truly make it perfect is if Jon was still here.
I
fixed Hubby his favorite breakfast of bacon, mush and toast with OJ. He got to pick up a cattle check (pay day!) and had mexican food for dinner at a place he likes,I also picked up some of the miniature butterfingers he likes to snack on. I will go pick up a antena tomarrow so we can enjoy the TV channels instead of cussing them. Something we both can enjoy. Not a bad quiet anniversary day at all.)





   


1 comment:

  1. Not sure why a batch of posts are just showing up on my dashboard today, but happy (belated) anniversary!

    ReplyDelete