Sunday, June 19, 2022

Fathers Day Cookout Fun!

 

Party Desserts For Fathers Day Cookout



I made Red Velvet Whoopie Pies!


  It was a Father’s Day cookout. It must’ve been 90° plus with 50% humidity or more it was way hot even in the shade. But it was fun because we got to watch the Little's play and they played in the swimming pool they had all the nice cold drinks in. One of the mischievous grandpa's showed one of them how to take a empty water bottle fill it up and go splash it on the other kids. THE CHASE WAS ON! Every little kid figured out how to do that and was getting little's and every now and then adults wet. Boy it was ice cold water but it felt good in that heat! LOL   It was nice to have a get together again. We ate lots of good food. Hubby didn’t go cause it was just plain too hot for him to handle. Lots of good visiting. And I had a great time making desserts. I made snickerdoodle cookie cake ( this was supposed to be for a 9" pan but I wanted it for a 13X9" so I doubled it. To me it was a little too thick so I need to adjust the recipe or change pans. Since one of the people there was diabetic and it was her birthday I made sugar-free cupcakes. Everyone needs to be able to eat something on their day so I wasn't about to make something she couldn't eat if she wanted to! Now I totally cheated on the sugar free cupcakes...... I have no clue how to use sugar free stuff so I just let Pillsbury do the recipe for me including the frosting! I figured if nothing else came out all that great at least these would. LOL
   Since I don't have many tried and true from scratch desserts everyone knows they get to be my dessert tasting subjects. I learn new recipes and they get to taste some goodies. ( Well mostly goodies LOL)
   I used Paula Deens Cousin Johnnie’s Red Velvet Whoopie Pie recipe
https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/cousin-johnnies-red-velvet-whoopie-pie/ I didn't use her filling recipe I used one with butter and cream cheese and powdered sugar to pipe that in between the cookies. The only thing she had a glitch in saying drop by Teaspoons. Way to small. I used a scoop I use for filling muffin tins. It was slightly to big when the pies actually baked so going to have to adjust. They turned out about palm size. Everyone seems to have enjoyed them but being so rich folks wound up sharing. Funny to watch..... parents and grandparents also were sharing with the kids and grandkids or leaving the last bite or 2 for one of the kids. You would see little kids carrying around their "bite" eating it or feeding it to the nearest puppy to share with them. LOL
   You could tell who ate Whoopie Pies! There was red dye everywhere! On fingers, under fingernails, on shirt fronts, teeth when they smiled, around the lips, on the chin..... E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E ! I know red dye.... many people try to avoid... but something about red velvet cakes or cookies and people just want to dive in!
    I went to pick up pizza on the way home and I think I had 3 big Red Velvet Whoopie Pies left. The woman at the window getting my order I asked her when was the last time someone told you they loved you and thought you were great and wonderful? She had to think about it a minute and said her daughter told her she loved her this morning. I asked if she baked any. She said some when she had time. I reached into the cooler I had to keep the cream cheese from melting in all the heat and handed her a Whoopie Pie. I told her share it if she has to. She laughed. Went and got my order a few minutes later and said she tried them and it was to die for! She said it made her day..... So that was fun!
   I did learn that the pink bakery boxes are great for taking and not having to retrieve the dishes later and great for keeping bugs off but I need to write on top what is in it so people will know there's something good in the box. When they can't see it the goodies don't disappear so quick. 

   Oh yes..... hubby said as I walked out the door.... I hope when you get this mess cleaned up you don't start any more projects! My kitchen always looks like a bomb went off. I didn't tell him I'm taking brownies and GF peanut butter cookies to someone on Tuesday! LOL

Love
Ranchmama

No comments:

Post a Comment