Sunday, July 4, 2021

July 4th 2021 Celebrations

 

Fireworks July 4TH - Village of Northport

  July 4th 2021 was at least celebrated in some way around here. Nikki was nice enough to host a family gathering at her house and it was really nice to get to comfortably visit with everyone. Her hubby cooked hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill. I brought my own turkey burgers for him to grill for me since I can't do hamburger. Inside Nikki had all the goodies set up on the counter so we could fill our plates and stuff our tummies to ridiculous record breaking full! There were ready made desserts and home made that folks brought. My desserts were some strawberries stuffed with vanilla cream cheese sprinkled with nuts on top.
Cream Cheese and Pecan Stuffed Berries  https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/cream-cheese-and-pecan-stuffed-berries/
I forgot to take pictures but I had a nice white corning ware 10" rd plate full of strawberries like this except I had pecans on top.
 
Cream Filled Strawberries - Joyofbaking.com *Video
          Recipe*

Then I made some pecan pralines for the first time. It wasn't perfect because they didn't turn out creamy and caramely but they were still good just more candied than caramel. Still they pretty much disappeared. I need to work on the size and making them soft and gooey.
Here is the recipe. https://iheartrecipes.com/pecan-praline-candy-recipe/
    Mine were supposed to look all nice and creamy like this one  
  
But looked more like this kinda of candied like
 
They were still really good though! LOL
    Evidently I was tired after going home and cleaning up the kitchen some to reheat some hamburgers from the party for supper. Sacked out for hours....! Woke up and it was 9:30! I was in a hurry to see the fireworks outside. Boy was I disappointed! Usually I can sit outside on the porch or look out some windows or doors listening for the big bangs and see pretty fireworks but this year I guess with all the rain all the trees were super bushy and blocked my view everywhere! Besides that mosquitoes were horrible! Usually I make hubby go with me to town somewhere to watch but this year he can't hardly ride in the truck because the sciatica hurts too bad to sit somewhere comfortably. Pain is still there even though he has had one procedure to block the nerve. It just blocked it from the knee up to the hips. From the knee down it is really painful to the point you can't move sometimes. Your just frozen in place it hurts so bad.
   I went to town Saturday thinking he was ok to leave alone. I get back and found out he was sitting outside to let Frosty enjoy herself and fell asleep in the chair. When he woke up he couldn't move! It was like being paralyzed. Evidently his Parkinson's meds and the pain pill wore off about the same time while he was asleep. With Parkinson's when you run out of dopamine the muscles just don't work. You might as well be paralyzed sometimes. Then with the pain meds gone also when he could finally get his legs loosened up enough the pain would jab him. He finally made it into the house and got his medicine in him and had to wait 30 minutes to a hour for them to kick in so he could move at lease a little bit and for the pain to lesson. I got home and he said man it was rough! Said it was really scary to wake up in pain and can't move and it took him a while to figure out exactly what was wrong and what he needed to do.
   So this year I missed out on the fireworks but we had a good visit, some good chow, fun making new recipes and a darn good nap afterwards! LOL

Hope everyone else had a nice holiday and stayed safe.

Love
Ranchmama

2 comments:

  1. Ranchmama, if your Hubby is taking Parkinson's medication, make sure that you and the doctor monitor him for depression. Just having Parkinson's is enough to make one depressed, but the medication can aggravate it and can make one suicidal. Someone close to me ended his own life because of this, and I believe that he wasn't properly monitored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with him pretty much 24 /7 we have been married 45 years and we have always been together that much except when I had a store in town for 3 yrs. He was on a "Happy Pill" for a little while until it started causing physical problems. He never did go back on one. Most of the time he is just fine. Every now and then on cloudy days (SAD) he just gets tired of all the BS he's dealing with. I can handle that. What used to drive me crazy with the depression was the What ifs! You know what if this happens and what are we or I going to do. You give him a answer and he has a what if for that also. Like a little kid asking why all the time. LOL Thank goodness he is feeling better and we don't have that to deal with! He is usually in good shape in the mental department. Tired, aggravated and wants me to check him on things because he doesn't want to make any mistakes. But in good shape. My daughter is a psychologist so she also keeps her eyes open for issues. Thank you for your concern. We all need to look out for each other in this crazy upside down world we seem to be living in now days.
    Love
    Ranchmama

    ReplyDelete