Monday, June 5, 2017

Hubby's Special Request Steak Soup

Hubby has been wanting some steak and potatoe soup for a while.I make a fairly good one but had plenty of room for improvement.I did some surfing around and found a recipe that might fit our taste buds if I made a few changes.

      Here is what we had for super. I must have done a good job because he said it was like what you would get at the expensive Russian Restaraunt that he an Nikki went to in New York. 
     I found these new to me mini crackers and that just made it even better for him! He said it's a shame it took 40 yrs for me to find this recipe and he hopes I can make it again just as good! ( hmmm... Somewhere in there is a backasswards compliment )



     The changes I made were:
 I used
4 sirloin steaks
No celery (didn't have any)
No mushrooms (don't like them)
I used beef bouillon 
Tossed enough A-1 Sauce in it to look good
1-c heinze catchup instead of tomatoes
No wine ( Don't like the flavor in my food)
No thyme
   I browned my meat and the bones with the onions and chopped garlic in bacon grease.
   I kept the bones with the soup to get what little bone broth I could in the soup and extra flavor. 
    I fried my chunky potatoes ( lots of them) like for a meal until just tender then added that to the already tender & cooked soup meat. 
   I like the carrots. Hubby picks them out... GRRRR..

Well that's how I done it and looks like I better stick too it! Lol

Love
Ranchmama 


Robust Beef and Potato Soup

1 1/4pounds beef stew meat, trimmed of fat
1 1/2tablespoons vegetable oil
1large onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
8ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove, minced
6cups low-sodium beef broth
3/4cup canned crushed tomatoes in purée
1/3cup dry red wine
3/4teaspoon salt
1/2teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
1/2teaspoon dried thyme
1 to 1 1/2teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed

Instructions

  1. Cut stew meat into bite-size pieces. 
  2. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. 
  3. Add meat and brown on all sides.
  4. Transfer meat to a bowl. Add onion and celery to pan, adding more oil if needed. Cook, stirring, over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except potatoes. Add beef.
  5. Bring to a simmer. 
  6. Cook, partially covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  7. Add potatoes and return soup to a simmer. 
  8. Cook, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment