Thursday, January 5, 2017

2016 Holiday Season


Seems like from the end of October to the end of December is almost nonstop holiday activities. 
    Thanksgiving I made 5 pies for different people. 3 honey pecan pies one for Nikki's husband. One for a party at Nikki's moms house another for a family party.


One standard pumpkin pie for a aunt that no longer cooks. I made a beginner coconut pie. I had never made one before and I wasn't impressed. All it is is a juiced up vanilla pudding! I didn't have time to do the meringue on this one. 
      Then here comes Christmas ! 

I has 2 parties on the same day. One I needed to take desserts to the other was at a local eatery I had a little over a weeks notice to put designed invitations, round up all those updated addresses, get everything mailed, make the reservations together for 40 or more people!  So I dropped off this  New York style cheesecake recipe from Gretchen's Bakery that met up with my honey pecan pie! It has a vanilla wafer crust, then pecan pie goo with cheesecake poured on top of that . The cheesecake had toasted sliced pecans inside. I used a homemade bourbon vanilla extract I made.  After the top firmed up I put more pecan pie goo on that . 
    I also took this much improved coconut meringue cream pie.

This pie had a gingersnap and coconut crust, about $9 worth of heavy cream, coconut milk, toasted coconut in the filling. It took 5 egg whites for this super tall meringue . I had great fun using Hubby's blow torch on it! The next one I will use a all coconut and butter toasted crust because the ginger was just too strong a flavor. 
    Since this party was also Mexican theme I took Mexican cinnamon cookies and cinnamon and sugar crisps. 
    I missed that party but while I was at the other family event I kept getting texts from the other party with rave reviews on my pies an requests for recipes which I gladly shared. 
     When I finished with the party I had to attend I went back to pick up my dishes. I was really surprised to see there wasn't  any left overs ! Usually you have something to take back. Lol I'm glad they enjoyed it. I for sure know what those folks like! 
    For my own family party Allexcia's family came in. She brought really good BBQ with pork and beans , coleslaw . We made loaded mashed potatoes and home made Mac and cheese. The Mac and cheese was over a pound of noodles, velveta cheeses smoked cheddar cheese, sour cream, heavy cream with panco (sp?) toasted crumbs on top. Tea and sodas for drinks. 
     I made peanut butter frosted Hershey's brownies for grandson. I found out later he liked milk chocolate instead. The other grandson I tried out a new pumpkin pie recipe that needed more cinnamon . Hubby got the pecan pie he liked. Someone else got a lemon meringue pie. Just using juice wasn't lemony enough so I added some organic lemon essential oil to jazz it up. That helped a bunch! Everything was homemade no box mixes used at all. 
       Our grand finally was this beautiful tree ! 

     Christmas presents were great fun but that is a whole new big post!

Love
Ranchmama 



No comments:

Post a Comment