Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Grumbling about treats !

Well I tell you we are so disappointed! We thought we would give ourselves a treat at home with some ice cream and orange juice.
  We bought the big bucket of bunny ice cream and some Simply Orange Juice.
  Brought it home stuck in freezer to get good and cold and orange juice in fridge. A good 4 hours later we thought that just sounded pretty good. The problem is the ice cream was'nt anywhere near as good as it used to be! I mean it was barely hard enough to call it ice cream. I went out to the freezer to see if it was working right and the meat was all hard as a rock so that was ok.  Man we poured the juice over the ice cream expecting it to get all nice and hard and icy with some really great flavor. All we wound up with is some kind of squishy mush. Totally ruined our treat.
   A few days later  hubby went to town and picked up some Hershey's Chocolate Syrup and we got it out after supper and thought we could surely enjoy this! Nope, didn't improve it at all. Not even a smidgen. Hubby said he has no clue what in the world to do with that lousy ice cream. I told him I will salvage it with turning into a chocolate frosty like Wendy's and see how that goes.
   Won't be using that one again.
   I guess it is a sign of the economy with cheapening the ingredients to keep it at a price people will still buy the product. It's that or maybe the company thinks their target market is aging and they can't dip out the really nice hard ice cream
  I got news I AIN'T THAT OLD FOLKS!!!  I CAN STILL HANDLE SOME REALLY GOOD ICE CREAM THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE!

   Oh yes, I read the ingredients on the high price Hershey's syrup and all I saw was a bunch of stuff I can really do without!  I can do better than this I know if I make my own. 


http://www.thehersheycompany.com/brands/syrup/hersheys-chocolate.aspx?cat=icon#/1926
HERSHEY'S Chocolate Syrup
Ingredients
HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP; CORN SYRUP; WATER; COCOA; SUGAR; CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE); SALT; MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES; XANTHAN GUM; POLYSORBATE 60; VANILLIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR 


It is getting hard to find a quality product out in the stores any more. I can make a REAL chocolate syrup and I guess I am going to have to do just that if I want something that I like.
  I know someone may be saying what is the big deal about all this ice cream? The big deal is that we haven't been spending money on some things like this and he probably spent $15 or more on these items. If I am going to spend some money on something I want it the way it used to be just in the last year or so. Don't sell me a inferiour product that I KNOW used to taste really good. I expect to have the same quality  that it did only within the last season or so.
    What a shame the quality isn't as available as it used to be. That's ok, I guess if I can make it at home I can at least have good stuff without all the additives and high fructose corn syrup !

Ranchmama
(Grumbling about poor quality and now having to add something else to the to do list.)





No comments:

Post a Comment